11:11 doesn’t hold any special meaning in the Bible. 11:11 holds significance in New Age thinking, numerology, and astrology – but it isn’t seen as a notable, lucky, or magical number in the Bible.
The number 11 has long been thought of as a “lucky” number. When doubled, 11:11 is seen by many as even more special or powerful. That’s why so many people make wishes at 11:11. Some even think 11:11 is an angel number, meaning when you see it, an angel might be close by.
But what does the Bible have to say about 11:11? We’ll take a look at some superstitious claims on the number 11, and then look to the Bible.
The Significance of 11:11 in New Age Thinking
In New Age thinking, the number 11:11 is often seen as a sign of spiritual awakening or a reminder to focus on personal growth and spiritual development. Some people believe that seeing 11:11 repeatedly is a message from the universe or a sign of good luck. Others interpret it as a reminder to synchronize one’s thoughts and actions with the universe’s energy or a signal to pay attention to one’s intuition.
It’s also a popular New Age belief that 11:11 is an angel number. If you have some kind of experience with 11:11 (you look up and that’s the time or you’re charged $11.11 for lunch), it means an angel is close by.
It’s also worth noting that many people don’t think too hard about it, they just make a wish when they notice the clock strike 11:11. They use it as a time to wish for something.
Unfortunately, there’s no real evidence or mention of either in the scriptures.
The Significance of 11:11 in Numerology and Astrology
In astrology, the number 11 is often associated with spiritual awakening and enlightenment, as well as with intuition and psychic abilities. In numerology, the number 11 is considered to be a Master Number, which is thought to have a higher spiritual vibration than other numbers. It is believed to be a powerful number that represents intuition, spiritual insight, and enlightenment.
The number 11 is also associated with leadership and inspiration, and is said to indicate a person who is here to inspire and uplift others. In astrology and numerology, seeing the number 11:11 repeatedly is thought to be a sign that the universe is trying to communicate with you and that you should pay attention to your intuition and inner guidance.
But again, none of this is backed by anything in the scriptures.
What the Bible Says About the Number 11
Is there any real significance to the number 11 in the Bible? Not really.
Numbers often hold special significance throughout early Jewish literature (we call this Biblical numerology). These numbers are referenced again and again, and it’s clear God communicates to His people throughout the Bible by calling attention to numbers and patterns. For example, the number 14 in the Bible represents a cycle or season, the number 17 in the Bible signifies victory, and the number 9 in the Bible signifies completion.
But the number 11 doesn’t hold the same significance or prominence in the Bible. In fact, you have to dig pretty hard to find any real mentions of the number 11. Here are just a few:
- John lists 11 things he saw in connection with the final judgement in Revelation
- Zedekiah rules Judah for 11 years
- There were 11 dukes of Edom / Esau (Genesis 36:40 – 43)
11:11 Mentions in the Bible
Similarly, there is little-to-no mention of 11:11 in the Christian scriptures. Part of this has to do with no mention of specific times, as the ancient middle east and first century Jews didn’t use minutes in their clock. The other place you might encounter 11:11 is with money, but in Bible times, there were no “cents” as there are in the US.
Of course, most books of the Bible have an eleventh chapter and eleventh verse – and many of these scriptures are powerful – but it’s important to remember chapters and verses came long after the original scrolls were written. Here are just a few of those scripture references:
- Genesis 11:11 – “And Shem lived after he fathered Arpachshad 500 years and had other sons and daughters.”
- Exodus 11:11 – “Moses and Aaron did all these wonders before Pharaoh, and the Lord hardened Pharaoh’s heart, and he did not let the people of Israel go out of his land.”
- Matthew 11:11 – “Truly, I say to you, among those born of women there has arisen no one greater than John the Baptist. Yet the one who is least in the kingdom of heaven is greater than he.”
- John 11:11 – “After he had said this, he went on to tell them, ‘Our friend Lazarus has fallen asleep; but I am going there to wake him up.'”
Again, some of these are meaningful, but they don’t indicate any special meaning of the number 11:11.
There’s Nothing Special About 11:11 in the Bible
All superstition or luck surrounding 11:11 is rooted in fortune telling, astrology, numerology, or new age thinking. There is nothing spiritually or Biblically significant about the 11:11. There’s also no clear notion that the number 11 on its own is special or notable in the Bible.
Does this mean you shouldn’t make wishes at 11:11 as a Christian? Perhaps 11:11 is a good time to take a moment to become aware of God and say a prayer, but making a vague wish to the sky at 11:11 seems a bit irreverent if you know there’s a God who wants to hear from you instead.
Other Biblical Numbers and Their Meaning
- What Does the Number 2 Mean in the Bible?
- What Does the Number 4 Mean in the Bible?
- What Does the Number 6 Mean in the Bible?
- What Does the Number 9 Mean in the Bible?
- What Does the Number 8 Mean in the Bible?
- What Does the Number 14 Mean in the Bible?
- What Does the Number 17 Mean in the Bible?
- What Does 11:11 Mean in the Bible?
- What Does 12:12 Mean in the Bible?